Friday, May 16, 2008

UP Naming Mahal


I am a proud Isko.

Finally I got hold of the UP centennial planner after over four months of waiting. When I leafed through it, I cried. That is an OA statement, of course. The sepia tinted pages evoked nostalgia. It opened the flood gates of wonderful memories. Memories and experience that were greatly part of what I am now. I remember I was a young virginal (literally and figuratively) farm boy whose life then had been confined in the barrio and was abruptly thrown into a radical society. The Oble literally loomed over me; I was but a fleck in its agoraphobic campus.

One thing UP taught me: There is no limit to human capacity.

The planner chronicles the UP history: It reminisces the milestones that are etched into UP’s rich history, a proof that UP has produced a plethora of great minds and trailblazers that defined the country’s history. It also showcases the contemporary and timeless symbols that make for what we often call tatak UP such as the UP Ikot and Toki, the Oblation Run, Lantern Parade, the Lagoon, AS steps, the Sunken Garden etc. Every week, in the planner, one would be inspired by the quotes from different UP famous personalities. Something that would remind as of the UP ideal; something that could embolden us wherever we maybe.

I don’t know, but there is something about UP that bewitches us all. It lures us back wherever we may be. Every now and then, I would visit UP. Somehow the familiar environment would bring me a different feeling. The same way I long for the comfort of my mother whenever I feel sick. Without fail I would run into an old friend or classmate who does the same thing.

Kudos to the University Student Council for spearheading this once-in-a lifetime publication! MABUHAY ANG UNIBERSIDAD NG PILIPINAS!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

meron din ako nyang UP planner!!!!! ... ganito ang gamit nya sa akin..."Your Honor, Can we set the hearing on...(while leafing through my planner)." Feeling ko UP Law na rin ako kahit undergrad lang. hahaha.

lante said...

hahaha. that's so cute!

atto aryo said...

I didn't know you were from UP. Took my bar review there. Must have seen you already. :-)